As you may know that Internal Links are those links that directs users to the different pages of the same domain. These links are important because they tell the search engines how important a particular page is. The more links a page has, the more attention it gets by search engines and is ranked higher. This is why, internal links are considered as important components of the search engine optimization. campaign and strategy.
If done with proper planning, internal linking can have considerable impact on improving search engine ranking of your website. Creating an effective internal link structure need a bit of strategy and, following some best practices. Some of the best linking practices that have proven to work in long term are described below.
- First of all, make sure that you link relevant pages. The linked pages tell the search engines that both pages are related, so the linked pages should complement each other. For example, if you written two posts, one about types of links and other about types of internal link structures, then you can link these pages.
- The page rank of each page of your website is different. Some pages have good page rank and some are ranked low. You can use the power of your strong pages to improve ranking of your weak pages. Link your weak pages to the strong ones to spread the link juice and to raise the page rank of your weak pages.
- Use descriptive and keyword focused anchor text. Anchor text is combination of words that you use as a link. Remember, search engine analyzes your anchor text to check the content relevancy. So your anchor text should be consistent to the content of the linked page.
- Do not use links on the pages which are already loaded with hundreds and thousands of links. Similarly use of links on pages blocked by robot.txt is also not recommended. Likewise do not use links in forms and search boxes, as search engines do not attempt to submit forms or process queries.
- Do not overload pages with links. Remember, excess of everything is bad. So is the case with internal links. Don’t go beyond 75-100 links per page.
- Use breadcrumb navigation for enhanced user experience and effective internal link structure. It is good to tell the users which page they are browsing at the moment and how to get back.
- Make sure that there are no broken links on your website. Broken links are never recommended. They can annoy users and have a bad impact on your site reputation. It is recommended to use some tool for checking broken links and fix as soon as you identify any.
- Keep checking internal link structure of your website. It is not a one-time activity but an on-going effort. Whenever you add content on the website, you create new links. Similarly keywords changes with changing trends. So you need regular management of your internal links.
If you follow these rules, you will have an effective internal linking structure that will pay you in terms of successful SEO, lead generation and increased conversion. In the next post, I will discuss “how to plan internal link structure”. So keep visiting our blog .